Thursday, March 8, 2012

It's not too early...

...to start planning your garden! 
(I'm in NY, and my zone is 5b)

According to Sproutrobot.com I should have four plants started from seed already!  
(I've got three out of four started! Tomatoes, Leeks and Green Peppers!)

Well, being the frugal woman that I am I decided I was going to use what I had to start my seedlings. 

First I saw these (can you guess where?). 
So I started saving some of my k cups, but realized they were kinda of small. 
And it would take forever to collect how many I would need. 

Then I saw these
So I got to work.

Gathered my supplies, some newspaper, tape and a template (the can).


Folded my piece of newspaper in half the long way, placed my can halfway across and rolled.


Put a small piece of tape.


Fold down the bottom. Tape.


And you have a biodegradeable pot! I plan on taking the tape off before I plant.
But when your seedling is ready for the garden, you just dig your hole and place the entire newspaper pot in your garden!


And in now time I had four pots! Now I'm just waiting for my seedlings to get a little bigger so I can seperate them into pots! And you can write on the side what's in them! 



1 comment:

  1. I am in zone 5 a, I think. I was hoping to start some plants, but I have to figure out a new plan this year. I have one window in my house that doesn't have the ray reducing gas stuff in it. That means the only place I can use is right in front of my living room window and it gets only afternoon light. I killed a lot of seedlings last year. I like your newspaper pots, cheap, just what I can afford. You have me excited about the garden and I am going to get the family in gear to rearrange furniture tonight. Thank you for sharing and motivating!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! If asking a question, make sure to leave a way to get in contact with you!
Thanks for visiting!